Sunday, March 15, 2009

Opening Weekend has launched and we're all in orbit

The SXSW Film Festival is off to a busy start with a weekend full of stars, suds, and schmoozing. Friday's opening night party at Buffalo Billiards was a crowded, raucous affair... as I observed from just outside the door along with many other stragglers and hopefuls. I did arrive just in time to see Jon Favreau (fresh from the premiere of I Love You, Man at the Paramount) dart past into one of the waiting black SUVs stationed outside the club. As a faithful journalist, I attempted to pass myself off as a member of Mr. Paul Rudd's party and board another waiting SUV, but was discovered and briskly sent on my way (I don't even know if Paul Rudd was there, actually).

The scene at the showing of Know Your Mushrooms (reviewed below) was equally energetic and I was lucky enough to get the last seat in the theatre after amiably chatting with Ron Mann (the film's director) and Louis Black (the head of the festival), two charming and interesting dudes. I only wish I had my digital recorder at hand then, but will make every effort to catch up with them both later in the festival and capture some short interviews for you, gentle readers. I also welcome any other interview requests and will do my best to accommodate. 

I heartily urge any non-vegetarians among our following to stop by Iron Works BBQ if you're headed to the Austin Convention Center; it's scrumptious and just around the corner. Any suggestions for hot spots that shouldn't be missed while knockin' around town?

No comments:

Post a Comment